Post processing method that acts on two-dimensional clusters of user data to produce dead bands and improve classification

David Adrian Sanders, Alexander E. Gegov

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution


A post processing method is described that acts on two-dimensional clusters of data produced from a data mining system. Dead bands are automatically created that further define the clusters. This was achieved by defining data within the dead bands as NOT belonging to either cluster. The three clusters produced were definitely YES, definitely NO and a new set of DON’T KNOW. The creation of the new set improved the
accuracy of decisions made about the data remaining in YES and NO clusters. The introduction of the dead bands was achieved by either setting a radius during the learning process or by setting a straight line
boundary. Each radius (or line) was calculated during the learning process by considering the two-dimensional position of each of the users within each cluster of dimensions. A radius line (or straight line)
was then introduced so that the 80% of users within a particular dimension who were nearest to the origin (or edge) were placed into a set. The other 20% were outside the radius line (or straight line) and not
recorded as being part of the set. If the two lines did not overlap, then this sometimes created a dead-band that contained users with less certain results and that in turn increased the accuracy of the other sets. Two case studies are presented as examples of that improvement.
Original languageEnglish
Title of host publicationn Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (WEBIST-2015
Publisher SCITEPRESS – Science and Technology Publications
Number of pages6
ISBN (Print)9789897581069
Publication statusPublished - 20 May 2015


Dive into the research topics of 'Post processing method that acts on two-dimensional clusters of user data to produce dead bands and improve classification'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this