Department of Sport and Exercise Science
Organisational unit: Department
The state of the art facilities within the Spinnaker Building enables the staff and students in the Department of Sport and Exercise Science to engage in high quality, high impact internationally recognised, interdisciplinary research. Our research informs many of the undergraduate and postgraduate units of study offered on our couses and provides students with the opportunity to develop their learning and research skills.
Research within the Department is organised into three broad research groupings, each of which encompasses a number of discrete research themes.
EXTREME ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE AND SCIENCE
- Environmental and survival physiology and medicine
- Preparation for, and protection from, environmental extremes
- Psychology of performance in extreme environments
- Surveillance and cognitive function
- Understanding appropriate breast support
- Clinical implications of breast pain
- Influences of the breast on physical activity
- Biomechanics of sports apparel
HUMAN PERFORMANCE AND HEALTH
- Occupational physiology and fitness standards
- Understanding and enhancing human performance
- Performance psychology of individuals and organisations
- Clinical exercise science and physical activity promotion
GET INVOLVED: VOLUNTEER!
The staff and students in the Department of Sport and Exercise Science are always undertaking exciting research projects across the broad areas of Human Performance and Health, Extreme Environmental and Science, and Breast Health.
Invariably this research requires volunteers for us to be able to conduct this work. Participating in these studies can be good fun and will often enable you to find out more about aspect of your performance; sometimes you will be paid for your time!
If you have an interest in Sports Science and would like to know more about the research that we do, or are interested in volunteering, you will find some details of research projects that we are currently recruiting for below:
We are not currently recruiting at this time.
- Phone: +44 (0)23 9284 5163