Mr Greg Bailey
I found architecture somewhat later than most, following a life of varied occupations including Classic Car Restoration, Strain Engineering, Oil Industry trouble-shooting in Africa, running a Pottery and retailing garden stonework and furniture. I studied at Portsmouth School of Architecture and the Technische Universitat in Vienna. I’ve been in practice on the Isle of Wight since qualifying. I’ve been teaching formally at Portsmouth since 2006 and annually in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
My specialisms/enthusiasms include:
- Social responsibility of architects
- The spiritual in architecture
- Learning as a three-way process
- Hand drawing
- Deconstructed thinking and handmade building
- The Western Balkans - Slovenia + Bosnia
- Travelling – preferably by camper van
While maintaining my interest in housing, my research focus has broadened to consider Cultural Capital. Looking at educational practice to conjoin architecure and conservation through projects undertaken in Sarajevo Bosnia, and urban design paradigms in Ljubljana Slovenia.