Dr Joana Da Silva Afonso
Senior Research Associate
I am a Senior Research Associate in the Economics and Finance subject group at the Faculty of Business and Law. I hold a PhD in economics and finance (University of Portsmouth) and an Msc in Microfinance (European Microfinance Programme, Université Libre de Bruxelles). I have experience as researcher and practitioner in microfinance, financial inclusion, social entrepreneurship and impact evaluation, both in developing countries (including the Dominican Republic, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Ecuador) and developed countries (UK and Portugal). I was co-organiser of the fifth European Research Conference on Microfinance (June 2017) and co-editor of the book “Emerging Challenges and Innovations in Microfinance and Financial Inclusion (2019).
I am interested in applied research in the areas of development economics and financial and social inclusion, both in the developing and the developed countries.
My current research interests include:
- Innovations in Financial Inclusion (digitalization, climate change resilience)
- Financial Inclusion in developed countries
- Women’s economic empowerment
- Impact evaluation and social performance assessment of social policies and programmes
- Social entrepreneurship and crowdfunding