Dr Qian Wang
I am a Senior Lecturer (manufacturing systems and management) in the School of Engineering. I hold a BEng in Automotive Engineering and a PhD in Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering. I have experience in both industry and academe.
When I worked in industry as a vehicle design engineer, a project and marketing manager, and as a CEO assistant, I was involved in many industrial projects and businesses; some had links with international companies such as SKF (Sweden), Mannesmann Seiffert (Germany) and NQA (UK).
In my academic career, I have developed broad interests in manufacturing systems design, information systems for manufacturing, logistics and supply chain integration, sustainable manufacturing and lean production, and digital manufacturing. Before I joined the University, I had independently completed a number of research projects with supportive grants of over £400,000, of which two research grants were funded jointly by EPSRC-IMRC/IdMRC. The research projects were carried out in close collaboration with industry (Rotork, Ford, Lanner Group, Airbus). I am currently leading a small team conducting a number of research activities in the School of Engineering. I am also an invited reviewer for several international journals.
- Sustainable manufacturing systems and lean production
- Reconfigurable assembly systems and automated warehouses
- Virtual systems design and integration for production
- Modelling simulation and optimisation techniques; advances in discrete event simulation
- Information systems evaluation and integration for manufacturing
- Manufacturing process modelling, planning and scheduling; enterprise resources planning